Thursday, November 1, 2012

austenland

Well another book down millions more to go! Austenland is in fact the first book on tape I listened to in a beta test of listing to new filler books on the long drive to class. It worked well except at some points the writer had me so interested in this Jane austen themed comidy/romance that I wasn't really sure how I had ended up in my driveway at the end of the night.

The book follows a women in her early thirtys who has become more and more disheartened by a string of bad relationships. As each one failed she slips just a tad bit farther in love with Mr. Darcy, and really who can blame her? But the relationship with her fictional ideal is running her real life into the ground. So, with some help from a recently departed relative, don't worry they weren't that close, she sets off to a land where she can live out her fanticy of Mr. Right and come home in three weeks to her real life and give up on love for good. I mean how much can happen in three weeks? Well at Pemberly Park apparently quite a lot.

A great read, but challenging if you haven't in fact read any Austen while that seems to go without saying I will anyway. The author also references Jane Eyre though it is in passing. Overall a fun and witty work for any classics lovers out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment